High school study abroad
Whether you are looking to attend high school abroad or you'd just like to find a great summer programme in a foreign city like Paris or Tokyo, you've come to the right place. We have a range of short-term high school study abroad programmes to give you a taste of life abroad and a big dose of a foreign language. We also operate secondary schools abroad. Study abroad in high school is a major decision, so get in touch. We guide you every step of the way.
Browse programmes by popular destinations
Why study abroad in high school?
Attending high school abroad is a transformational experience. Many students do not go abroad until university, so you'll be getting an educational head start. Our foreign secondary schools offer a full high school education in English for native and non-native English speakers.
Graduates continue on to English-speaking universities, including some very prestigious institutions like Harvard and Cambridge. These are full-time, academically challenging programmes, with the on-site academic and personal support necessary to make a smooth transition from living at home to attending high school abroad.
What are the benefits of studying abroad in high school?
Attending high school abroad means living closely together with local high school exchange students. You'll experience the lifestyle, culture and traditions of your foreign country up close, and learn the foreign language fast and effectively. Studying abroad in high school is also good for the development of your cultural and interpersonal skills. Studying abroad in high school is challenging and rewarding at the same time. So, why not choose to go abroad with EF and...
- Learn a new language
- Discover a new culture
- Meet new people from all over the world
- Make international friends
- Gain valuable experiences, both personally and professionally
What high school study abroad programmes does EF offer?
There's no better way to become fluent in a language than by studying it in an immersion environment. Enrolling in a high school study abroad programme will improve your foreign language skills: a major asset to your future studies and career. You'll also become move independent and come home with an entirely new perspective on the world.
Our high school study abroad opportunities in non-English speaking countries include short-term summer study abroad programmes, long-term academic courses, and university preparation programmes:
Long-term high school programmes
- EF Language Year Abroad Programme - Stockpile a wealth of knowledge to kick-start your future.
- EF Multi-Language Year Programme - Learn up to three languages in three different countries.
- EF Advanced Diploma Programme - Acquire career related language skills while earning a diploma in, for instance, Fashion and Design.
Flexible course options for semester or summer
- EF Intensive Course - Learn a language as quickly as possible for academic or professional reasons.
- Exam Preparation Courses - Prepare for an officially recognized language exam.
- EF Volunteer & Internship Programme - Refine your language skills while gaining experience.
What are the most popular destinations to attend a school year abroad?
Would you like to experience the high school spirit in France? Or would you rather have tea with your host family in England? Or are you curious about the beautiful nature of Korea? Everything is possible with EF's Study Abroad High School Programmes!
A whole high school year abroad can be exciting, but at the same time very challenging. EF will guide you in every possible way. You'll learn a new language in no time, for example by practising your Spanish language skills day in, day out with fellow students in Costa Rica or Barcelona, or with your host family, at the dinner table.
What are my accommodation options while studying at a secondary school abroad?
- Home stay - When you become a high school student, you have a few options when it comes to accommodation. Feel at home by choosing to stay in our carefully selected EF Home stay, where you can immerse yourself in the culture by living amongst locals in a private home.
- Residence - If you prefer to live amongst your fellow classmates, consider living in a residence during your Study Abroad High School Programme. Our residences are comfortable, secure and conveniently located close to the city center.
Is it possible to study abroad in high school during the summer?
If you don't want to spend a whole year at a high school abroad, you can also choose to study abroad during the summer. This will give you the opportunity to high school travel abroad and improve your language skills, whether in French or Spanish, or perhaps in a subject you didn't really excel in the past high school year. Prepare for exams or improve your professional communication, social skills and entrepreneurship.
Another exciting opportunity to explore the world during the high school summer break is our EF Work and Travel Programmes. You'll stay first 2 weeks to 3 months on a EF Language School and get to know the new language and culture. EF will help you arrange practicalities on your arrival, such as opening a local bank account and finding an comfortable apartment.
Attend workshops on how to apply for a job, how to write a cover letter and CV, and so on. And become a member of our EF Job Club: a network of companies where you can apply for jobs abroad.
Why choose our secondary school exchange student programmes?
- 50+ years of experience: EF has been providing study abroad high school opportunities since 1965.
- 50+ destinations: At EF you can choose from a variety of destinations, and no two are the same...
- Innovative learning space: EF has created state-of-the-art learning environments that include comfortable student lounges, modern language labs and spacious classrooms.
- The best guidance: Due to our small classroom sizes and personalised approach to teaching, you can count on EF during and after your language course.
- A complete experience: Outside our intensive language training programs, EF organises various excursions and activities in order to experience true cultural immersion.
- In-house management: Unlike many other organisations, EF language schools are managed by staffs that are hand-picked by our organisation, including our highly trained language teachers.
- Recognised worldwide: EF is globally recognised by major educational institutions such as the University of Cambridge.