Ordering multiple adjectives
When a number of adjectives are used together, the order depends on the function of the adjective. The usual order is:
Quantity, Value/opinion, Size, Temperature, Age, Shape, Colour, Origin, Material
|What the adjective expresses||Examples|
|Quantity||four, ten, a few, several|
|Value/Opinion||delicious, charming, beautiful|
|Size||tall, tiny, huge|
|Age||old, young, new, 14-year-old|
|Color||red, purple, green|
|Origin||Swedish, Victorian, Chinese|
|Material||glass, silver, wooden|
- They have a lovely old red post-box.
- The playroom has six small round plastic tables.
- I bought some charming Victorian silver ornaments at the flea market.
- She is selling her flashy 3-year-old Italian car.
- It was a beautiful cold day.